Minimum Requirements to Run SQL Server 2012 Express and SQL Server Management Studio
To begin, please make sure the computer you will be using meets these minimum requirements:
- Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista (SP2 or later).
- Internet Explorer 7 or higher. A free download is available from Microsoft — please click here.
- For 32-bit systems, 1 GHz Intel or compatible processor (2 GHz or higher recommended).
- For 64-bit systems, 1.4 GHz Intel or compatible processor (2 GHz or higher recommended).
- 512 MB RAM (1 GB or more is recommended) and at least 2.2 GB of hard disk space for SQL Server Express and related components, plus at least 1 GB for ReliaSoft desktop applications.
- SVGA display (1,024×768 pixels)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 AND Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0. (.NET 3.5 is no longer included in the SQL Server installation; if it is not already on your computer, a free download is available from Microsoft– please click here. .NET 4.0 is included in the SQL Server 2012 installation files or a free download is also available separately from Microsoft — please click here.)
- Microsoft Office 2000 or higher (Excel and Word) for automated report generation.
These requirements satisfy the minimum specifications for SQL Server 2012 Express, SQL Server Management Studio Express and ReliaSoft desktop applications. For more details on Microsoft’s recommended minimum specifications for SQL Server 2012 Express, click here. For more details on our recommended minimum specifications for ReliaSoft applications, click here.